Different surface treatment protocols of a Y-TZP ceramic with a superficial glaze layer
Aim: evaluate the influence of etching time with hydrofluoric acid on the bond strength of a Yttrium-stabilized polycrystalline tetragonal zirconia (Y-TZP) ceramic with a superficial glaze layer and a resin cement. Methods: Y-TZP blocks were cut to obtain 40 samples. They were distributed into four groups (n = 10): control treated by sandblasting with silica-coated alumina (RS) and three glazed experimental groups with different etching times: GS20s, GS60s and GS100s. Cementation was done with a universal adhesive and a resin cement. Two cement cylinders were made in each block. After thermocycling, the shear bond test was performed. Two extra samples of each group were made to obtain profilometry, scanning electron microscopy, mapping and backscattered electron detector images. Energy dispersive spectrometry and goniometry were also performed. Results: Kruskal-Wallis and Dunn tests demonstrated bond strength differences only between the RS (22.10MPa) and the GS groups (GS20s: 8,10Mpa; GS60s: 10.49MPa; GS100s: 7.53MPa) (p = 0.001), but there was no difference among the experimental groups (p > 0.05). The contact angles were 55.33º (RS); 70.78° (GS100s); 48.20º (GS60s) and 28.73º (GS20s). ANOVA and Tukey test demonstrated similar wettability of RS to GS60s and GS100s (p > 0.05), but all the experimental groups were statistically different between them (p < 0.001). Qualitative image analysis revealed an irregular glaze distribution after etching. The thickness of the remaining glaze layer measured by profilometry was 5±1μm (GS20S), 4±1μm (GS60S) and 3±1μm (GS100s). Conclusion: The etching time of glazed zirconia did not influence the adhesive strength of the ceramic to the resin cement.
2. Özcan M, Bernasconi M. Adhesion to zirconia used for dental restorations: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Adhes Dent. 2015 Feb;17(1):7-26. doi: 10.3290/j.jad.a33525.
3. Amaral M, Belli R, Cesar PF, Valandro LF, Petschelt A, Lohbauer U. The potential of novel primers and universal adhesives to bond to zirconia. J Dent. 2014 Jan;42(1):90-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jdent.2013.11.004.
4. Gargava S, Ram SM. Evaluation of Surface Conditioning of Zirconia and Its Effect on Bonding to Resin-Luting Agent. J Contemp Dent. 2013 Jan-Apr;3(1):7-10. doi: 10.5005/jp-jourals-10031-1026.
5. Martins ARM, Gotti VB, Shimano MM, Borges GA, Gonçalves LS. Improving adhesion between luting cement and zirconia-based ceramic with an alternative surface treatment. Braz Oral Res. 2015;29:54. doi: 10.1590/1807-3107BOR-2015.vol29.0054.
6. Pereira LL, Campos F, Dal Piva AM, Gondim LD, Souza RO, Özcan M. Can application of universal primers alone be a substitute for airborne-particle abrasion to improve adhesion of resin cement to zirconia? J Adhes Dent. 2015 Apr;17(2):169-74. doi: 10.3290/j.jad.a33974.
7. Ntala P, Chen X, Niggli J, Cattell M. Development and testing of multi-phase glazes for adhesive bonding to zirconia substrates. J Dent. 2010 Oct;38(10):773-81. doi: 10.1016/j.jdent.2010.06.008.
8. Zhao L, Jian YT, Wang XD, Zhao K. Bond strength of primer/cement systems to zirconia subjected to artificial aging. J Prosthet Dent. 2016 Nov;116(5):790-6. doi: 10.1016/j.prosdent.2016.03.020.
9. Attia A. Bond strength of three luting agents to zirconia ceramic - influence of surface treatment and thermocycling. J Appl Oral Sci. 2011 Aug;19(4):388-95.
10. Tanıs MT, Akay C, Karakıs D. Resin cementation of zirconia ceramics with different bonding agentes. Biotechnol Biotechnol Equip. 2015 Mar 4;29(2):363-7.
11. Vanderlei A, Bottino MA, Valandro LF. Evaluation of resin bond strength to yttria-stabilized tetragonal zirconia and framework marginal fit: comparison of different surface conditionings. Oper Dent. 2014 Jan-Feb;39(1):50-63. doi: 10.2341/12-269-L.
12. Özcan M, Yetkiner E. Could readily silanized silica particles substitute silica coating and silanization in conditioning zirconium dioxide for resin adhesion? J Adhes Sci Technol. 2016;30(2):186-93. doi: 10.1080/01694243.2015.1095628.
13. Alves M, Campos F, Bergoli CD, Bottino MA, Özcan M, Souza R. Effect of Adhesive Cementation Strategies on the Bonding of Y-TZP to Human Dentin. Oper Dent. 2016 May-Jun;41(3):276-83. doi: 10.2341/15-052-L.
14. Melo RM, Souza R, Dursun E, Monteiro E, Valandro LF, Bottino MA. Surface Treatments of Zirconia to Enhance Bonding Durability. Oper Dent. 2015 Nov-Dec;40(6):636-43. doi: 10.2341/14-144-L.
15. Usumez A, Hamdemirci N, Koroglu BY, Simsek I, Parlar O, Sari T. Bond strength of resin cement to zirconia ceramic with different surface treatments. Lasers Med Sci. 2013 Jan;28(1):259-66. doi: 10.1007/s10103-012-1136-x.
16. Rippe MP, Amaral R, Oliveira FS, Cesar PF, Scotti R, Valandro LF, et al. Evaluation of tensile retention of Y-TZP crowns cemented on resin composite cores: effect of the cement and Y-TZP surface conditioning. Oper Dent. 2015 Jan-Feb;40(1):E1-E10. doi: 10.2341/13-310-L.
17. Bottino MA, Snellaert A, Bergoli CD, Özcan M, Bottino MC, Valandro LF. Effect of ceramic etching protocols on resin bond strength to a feldspar ceramic. Oper Dent. 2015 Mar-Apr;40(2):E40-6. doi: 10.2341/13-344-L.
18. Leite FP, Ozcan M, Valandro LF, Moreira CHC, Amaral R, Botino MA, et al. Effect of the etching duration and ultrasonic cleaning on microtensile bond strength between feldspathic ceramic and resin cement. J Adhes. 2013;89:159-73. doi: 10.1080/00218464.2013.739024.
19. Miranda JS, Malta NV, Carvalho RLA, Souza ROA, Machado JPB, Leite FPP. Which low-fusing porcelain glaze treatment technique is better to promote a vitreous surface on Y-TZP ceramic? Rev Odonto Cienc. 2017;32(4):174-9. doi: 10.15448/1980-6523.2017.4.28749.
20. Simões AC, Miranda JS, Souza ROA, Kimpara ET, Leite FPP. Bond and topography evaluation of a Y-TZP ceramic with a superficial low-fusing porcelain glass layer after different hydrofluoric acid etching protocols. Rev Odontol UNESP. 2018 Nov-Dec;47(6):1-6. doi: 10.1590/1807-2577.10118.
21. Gotti VB, Calabrez Filho S, Shimano MM, Borges GA, BorgeS LG, Gonçalves LS. Influence of ceramic primers on microshear bond strength between resin cements and zirconia-based ceramic. Braz J Oral Sci. 2011 Apr-Jun;10(2):124-9.
22. Ahn J, Yi Y, Lee Y, Seo D. Shear Bond Strength of MDP-Containing Self-Adhesive Resin Cement and Y-TZP Ceramics: Effect of Phosphate Monomer-Containing Primers. Biomed Res Int. 2015;2015:389234. doi: 10.1155/2015/389234.
23. Sarmento HR, Campos F, Sousa RS, Machado JP, Souza RO, Bottino MA, et al. Influence of air-particle deposition protocols on the surface topography and adhesion of resin cement to zirconia. Acta Odontol Scand. 2014 Jul;72(5):346-53. doi: 10.3109/00016357.2013.837958.
24. Lüthy H, Loeffel O, Hammerle CH. Effect of thermocycling on bond strength of luting cements to zirconia ceramic. Dent Mater. 2006 Feb;22(2):195-200.
25. Anami LC, Lima JM, Corazza PH, Yamamoto ET, Bottino MA, Borges AL. Finite element analysis of the influence of geometry and design of zirconia crowns on stress distribution. J Prosthodont. 2015 Feb;24(2):146-51. doi: 10.1111/jopr.12175.
26. Kim MJ, Kim YK, Kim KH, Kwon TY. Shear bond strengths of various luting cements to zirconia ceramic: surface chemical aspects. J Dent. 2011 Nov;39(11):795-803. doi: 10.1016/j.jdent.2011.08.012.
27. Kim RJY, Woo JS, Lee IB, Yi YA, Hwang JY, Seo DG. Performance of universal adhesives on bonding to leucite-reinforced ceramic. Biomater Res. 2015 May 22;19:11. doi: 10.1186/s40824-015-0035-1.
Copyright (c) 2019 Brazilian Journal of Oral Sciences
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The Brazilian Journal of Oral Sciences uses the Creative Commons license (CC), thus preserving the integrity of the articles in an open access environment.