Influence of desensitizers agents on the dentin bond strength after one-year water storage
Aim: Evaluate the effect of adhesives systems combined with desensitizer agents on the microtensile bond strength (μTBS) of a composite resin to dentin. Methods: Cervical dentin of thirty-two human molars were used to simulate hypersensitivity areas. The teeth were divided into four groups (n=8), according to the type of adhesive system and desensitizer agents. No desensitizer was used in the control (Clearfil SE Bond – CS). Two experimental groups were pretreated with either MS Coat Bond (MS) or Biofluorid 12 (BF) immediately prior to bonding with CS. The last group corresponded to Gluma Comfort Bond + Desensitizer (GC) application. After dentin treatments, a composite block was built-up on dentin surface and after 24 hours teeth were serially sectioned to obtain bonded bean specimens. Beams were stored in water for 24 hours or one year. Subsequently, the specimens were submitted to the μTBS test. Data were analyzed by two-way mixed ANOVA and Bonferroni’s test (α = 0.05). Results: At 24 hours, there was no significant difference in μTBS among groups. However, at one year, dentin treated with MS or BF demonstrated significantly lower μTBS of CS to dentin compared to control and GC, which kept their μTBS stable. Conclusion: The effect of MS and BF desensitizer agents on the μTBS of CS to dentin did not reduce the μTBS at 24 hours, but it decreases significantly after one year.
2. Erdemir U, Saygi G, Yucel T, Yildiz E. Dentin hypersensitivity and recent developments in treatment options : a mini review. JSM Dent. 2016;4(4):1072. 6p.
3. West N, Seong J, Davies M. Dentine hypersensitivity. Monogr Oral Sci. 2014;25:108-22. doi: 10.1159/000360749.
4. Davari A, Ataei E, Assarzadeh H. Dentin hypersensitivity: etiology, diagnosis and treatment; a literature review. J Dent (Shiraz). 2013 Sep;14(3):136-45.
5. Zorba YO, Erdemir A, Ercan E, Eldeniz AU, Kalaycioglu B, Ulker M. The effects of three different desensitizing agents on the shear bond strength of composite resin bonding agents. J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2010 Jul;3(5):399-404. doi: 10.1016/j.jmbbm.2010.03.003.
6. Arısu H, Dalkıhç E, Üçtaşlı M. Effect of Desensitizing Agents on the Microtensile Bond Strength of a Two-step Self-etch Adhesive to Dentin Oper Dent. 2011 Mar-Apr;36(2):153-61. doi: 10.2341/09-381-L.
7. Cortiano FM, Rached RN, Mazur RF, Vieira S, Freire A, de Souza EM. Effect of desensitizing agents on the microtensile bond strength of two-step etch-and-rinse adhesives to dentin. Eur J Oral Sci. 2016 Jun;124(3):309-15. doi: 10.1111/eos.12263.
8. Brännström M. Sensitivity of dentine. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1966 Apr;21(4):517-26. doi: 10.1016/0030-4220(66)90411-7.
9. Schmidlin PR, Sahrmann P. Current management of dentin hypersensitivity. Clin Oral Investig. 2013 Mar;17 Suppl 1:S55-9. doi: 10.1007/s00784-012-0912-0.
10. Saraç D, Külünk S, Saraç YS, Karakas Ö. Effect of fluoride-containing desensitizing agents on the bond strength of resin-based cements to dentin. J Appl Oral Sci. 2009 Sep-Oct;17(5):495-500.
11. Yu X, Liang B, Jin X, Fu B, Hannig M. Comparative in vivo study on the desensitizing efficacy of dentin desensitizers and one-bottle self-etching adhesives. Oper Dent. 2010 May-Jun;35(3):279-86. doi: 10.2341/09-346-C.
12. Omae M, Inoue M, Itota T, Finger WJ, Inoue M, Tanaka K, et al. Effect of a desensitizing agent containing glutaraldehyde and HEMA on bond strength to Er:YAG laser-irradiated dentine. J Dent. 2007 May;35(5):398-402.
13. Kurt S, Kırtıloğlu T, Yılmaz NA, Ertaş E, Oruçoğlu H. Evaluation of the effects of Er:YAG laser, Nd:YAG laser, and two different desensitizers on dentin permeability: in vitro study. Lasers Med Sci. 2018 Dec;33(9):1883-90. doi: 10.1007/s10103-018-2546-1.
14. Yang H, Chen Z, Yan H, Huang C. Effects of calcium-containing desensitizers on the bonding stability of an etch-and-rinse adhesive against long-term water storage and pH cycling. Dent Mater J. 2018 Jan 30;37(1):122-9. doi: 10.4012/dmj.2017-006.
15. Oshima M, Hamba H, Sadr A, Nikaido T, Tagami J. Effect of polymer-based desensitizer with sodium fluoride on prevention of root dentin demineralization. Am J Dent. 2015 Jun;28(3):123-7.
16. Galvão A da M, Zeola LF, Moura GF, Teixeira DNR, Gonzaga RC de Q, da Silva GR, et al. A long-term evaluation of experimental potassium oxalate concentrations on dentin hypersensitivity reduction: A triple-blind randomized clinical trial. J Dent. 2019 Oct;89:103180. doi: 10.1016/j.jdent.2019.103180.
17. Sabatini C, Wu Z. Effect of Desensitizing Agents on the Bond Strength of Mild and Strong Self-etching Adhesives. Oper Dent. 2015 Sep-Oct;40(5):548-57. doi: 10.2341/14-190-L.
18. Vachiramon V, Vargas MA, Pashley DH, Tay FR, Geraldeli S, Qian F, et al. effects of oxalate on dentin bond after 3-month simulated pulpal pressure. J Dent. 2008 Mar;36(3):178-85. doi: 10.1016/j.jdent.2007.11.011.
19. Yoshida Y, Nagakane K, Fukuda R, Nakayama Y, Okazaki M, Shintani H, et al. Comparative study on adhesive performance of functional monomers. J Dent Res. 2004 Jun;83(6):454-8.
20. Vermelho PM, Reis AF, Ambrosano GMB, Giannini M. Adhesion of multimode adhesives to enamel and dentin after one year of water storage. Clin Oral Investig. 2017 Jun;21(5):1707-1715. doi: 10.1007/s00784-016-1966-1.
21. Zhang Y, Agee K, Pashley DH, Pashley EL. The effects of Pain-FreeR desensitizer on dentine permeability and tubule occlusion overtime, in vitro. J Clin Periodontol. 1998 Nov;25(11 Pt 1):884-91. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-051X.1998.tb02386.x.
22. Tay FR, Pashley DH, Mak YF, Carvalho RM, Lai SCN, Suh BI. Integrating oxalate desensitizers with total-etch two-step adhesive. J Dent Res. 2003 Sep;82(9):703-7.
23. de Andrade e Silva SM, Malcarne-Zanon J, Carvalho RM, Alves MC, De Goes MF, Anido-Anido A, et al. Effect of Oxalate Desensitizer on the Durability of Resin-Bonded Interfaces. Oper Dent. 2010 Nov-Dec;35(6):610-7. doi: 10.2341/09-202-L.
24. Scheffel DLS, Soares DG, Basso FG, de Souza Costa CA, Pashley D, Hebling J. Transdentinal cytotoxicity of glutaraldehyde on odontoblast-like cells. J Dent. 2015 Aug;43(8):997-1006. doi: 10.1016/j.jdent.2015.05.004.
25. Lee J, Sabatini C. Glutaraldehyde collagen cross-linking stabilizes resin–dentin interfaces and reduces bond degradation. Eur J Oral Sci. 2017 Feb;125(1):63-71. doi: 10.1111/eos.12317.
26. André CB, Gomes BPFA, Duque TM, Stipp RN, Chan DCN, Ambrosano GMB, et al. Dentine bond strength and antimicrobial activity evaluation of adhesive systems. J Dent. 2015 Apr;43(4):466-75. doi: 10.1016/j.jdent.2015.01.004.
27. Reinhardt JW, Stephens NH, Fortin D. Effect of Gluma desensitization on dentin bond strength. Am J Dent. 1995 Aug;8(4):170-2.
28. Seseogullari-Dirihan R, Apollonio F, Mazzoni A, Tjaderhane L, Pashley D, Breschi L, et al. Use of crosslinkers to inactivate dentin MMPs. Dent Mater. 2016 Mar;32(3):423-32. doi: 10.1016/j.dental.2015.12.012.
29. Qin C, Xu J, Zhang Y. Spectroscopic investigation of the function of aqueous 2-hydroxyethylmethacrylate/glutaraldehyde solution as a dentin desensitizer. Eur J Oral Sci. 2006 Aug;114(4):354-9.
30. Arrais CAG, Chan DCN, Giannini M. Effects of desensitizing agents on dentinal tubule occlusion. J Appl Oral Sci. 2004 Jun;12(2):144-8.
31. Cai K, Delaviz Y, Banh M, Guo Y, Santerre JP. Biodegradation of composite resin with ester linkages: identifying human salivary enzyme activity with a potential role in the esterolytic process. Dent Mater. 2014 Aug;30(8):848-60. doi: 10.1016/j.dental.2014.05.031.
The Brazilian Journal of Oral Sciences uses the Creative Commons license (CC), thus preserving the integrity of the articles in an open access environment.