Aim: To evaluate the color stability of bovine enamel with artificial white spot lesions treated with resin infiltration (ICON) or remineralization with fluoride using two storage methods. Methods: Sixty incisors were submitted to artificial white spot lesion induced by demineralization-remineralization (DE-RE) cycling. Initial color was evaluated with CIE-Lab to measure ΔEab. Demineralized teeth were divided according to the treatment of the white spot lesion (n = 20): 1) Remineralization with 2% neutral fluoride gel for 4min (control); 2) ICON application following manufacturer’s recommendations; and 3) ICON with decreased drying time after the application of ethanol. After 24h, color was evaluated and samples were subdivided (n = 10) according to storage: 1) distilled water for 1 month; 2) grape juice for 10min daily. After storage, color was evaluated. L*, a* and b* data were analyzed by one-way ANOVA and ∆Eab data by two-way ANOVA followed by Tukey’s HSD (α = 0.05). Results: L* was affected by juice storage, and decreased when ICON was applied with decreased drying time after the ethanol application. The same behavior occurred with a* (increase with reduced drying time), while b* was not affected. For ∆Eab significant differences were observed between groups (p = 0.0219) and storage methods (p = 0.0007). There was no interaction effect (p = 0.1118). Remineralization with fluoride presented the lowest color changes after storage in water. Conclusion: Treatment of artificial carious lesions with resin infiltration presented greater color changes than fluoride remineralization after storage in both solutions in vitro.
2. Askar H, Lausch J, Dörfer CE, Meyer-Lueckel H, Paris S. Penetration of micro-filled infiltrant resins into artificial caries lesions. J Dent. 2015 Jul;43(7):832-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jdent.2015.03.002.
3. Buzalaf MAR, Pessan JP, Honorio HM, Ten Cate JM. Mechanisms of action of fluoride for caries control. Monogr Oral Sci. 2011;22:97-114. doi: 10.1159/000325151.
4. Palacio R, Shen J, Vale L, Vernazza CR. Assessing the cost‐effectiveness of a fluoride varnish programme in Chile: the use of a decision analytic model in dentistry. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2019 Jun;47(3):217-24. doi: 10.1111/cdoe.12447.
5. Abbas BA, Marzouk ES, Zaher AR. Treatment of various degrees of white spot lesions using resin infiltration—in vitro study. Prog Orthod. 2018 Aug 6;19(1):27. doi: 10.1186/s40510-018-0223-3.
6. Cohen-Carneiro F, Pascareli AM, Christino MR, Vale HF, Pontes DG. Color stability of carious incipient lesions located in enamel and treated with resin infiltration or remineralization. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2014 Jul;24(4):277-85. doi: 10.1111/ipd.12071.
7. Knösel M, Eckstein A, Helms H-J. Long-term follow-up of camouflage effects following resin infiltration of post orthodontic white-spot lesions in vivo. Angle Orthod. 2019 Jan;89(1):33-39. doi: 10.2319/052118-383.1.
8. Kidd E, Fejerskov O. What constitutes dental caries? Histopathology of carious enamel and dentin related to the action of cariogenic biofilms. J J Dent Res. 2004;83 Spec No C:C35-8.
9. Gray G, Shellis P. Infiltration of resin into white spot caries-like lesions of enamel: an in vitro study. Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent. 2002 Mar;10(1):27-32.
10. Paris S, Schwendicke F, Seddig S, Müller W-D, Dörfer C, Meyer-Lueckel H. Micro-hardness and mineral loss of enamel lesions after infiltration with various resins: influence of infiltrant composition and application frequency in vitro. J Dent. 2013 Jun;41(6):543-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jdent.2013.03.006.
11. Manoharan V, Arun Kumar S, Arumugam SB, Anand V, Krishnamoorthy S, Methippara JJ. Is Resin Infiltration a Microinvasive Approach to White Lesions of Calcified Tooth Structures?: a systemic review. Int J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2019 Jan-Feb;12(1):53-58. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10005-1579.
12. Paris S, Hopfenmuller W, Meyer-Lueckel H. Resin infiltration of caries lesions: an efficacy randomized trial. J Dent Res. 2010 Aug;89(8):823-6. doi: 10.1177/0022034510369289.
13. Borges A, Caneppele T, Luz M, Pucci C, Torres C. Color stability of resin used for caries infiltration after exposure to different staining solutions. Oper Dent. 2014 Jul-Aug;39(4):433-40. doi: 10.2341/13-150-L.
14. Paris S, Schwendicke F, Keltsch J, Dorfer C, Meyer-Lueckel H. Masking of white spot lesions by resin infiltration in vitro. J Dent. 2013 Nov;41 Suppl 5:e28-34. doi: 10.1016/j.jdent.2013.04.003.
15. Belli R, Rahiotis C, Schubert EW, Baratieri LN, Petschelt A, Lohbauer U. Wear and morphology of infiltrated white spot lesions. J Dent. 2011 May;39(5):376-85. doi: 10.1016/j.jdent.2011.02.009.
16. Wilson P, Beynon A. Mineralization differences between human deciduous and permanent enamel measured by quantitative microradiography. Arch Oral Biol. 1989;34(2):85-8.
17. Yoo HK, Kim SH, Kim SI, Shin YS, Shin SJ, Park JW. Seven-year follow-up of resin infiltration treatment on noncavitated proximal caries. Oper Dent. 2019 Jan/Feb;44(1):8-12. doi: 10.2341/17-323-L.
18. Silva TMD, Sales A, Pucci CR, Borges AB, Torres CRG. The combined effect of food-simulating solutions, brushing and staining on color stability of composite resins. Acta Biomater Odontol Scand. 2017 Jan 16;3(1):1-7. doi: 10.1080/23337931.2016.1276838.
19. Domejean S, Ducamp R, Leger S, Holmgren C. Resin infiltration of non-cavitated caries lesions: a systematic review. Med Princ Pract. 2015;24(3):216-21. doi: 10.1159/000371709.
20. Swamy DF, Barretto ES, Mallikarjun SB, Dessai SSR. In vitro evaluation of resin infiltrant penetration into white spot lesions of deciduous molars. J Clin Diagn Res. 2017 Sep;11(9):ZC71-4. doi: 10.7860/JCDR/2017/28146.10599.
21. Vieira AE, Delbem ACB, Sassaki KT, Rodrigues E, Cury JA, Cunha RF. Fluoride dose response in pH-cycling models using bovine enamel. Caries Res. 2005 Nov-Dec;39(6):514-20.
22. Seghi RR, Johnston WM, O'Brien WJ. Performance assessment of colorimetric devices on dental porcelains. J Dent Res. 1989 Dec;68(12):1755-9.
23. Andreatta LM, Furuse AY, Prakki A, Bombonatti JF, Mondelli RF. Pulp chamber heating: an in vitro study evaluating different light sources and resin composite layers. Braz Dent J. 2016 Oct-Dec;27(6):675-80. doi: 10.1590/0103-6440201600328.
24. Francisconi L, Honório HM, Rios D, Magalhães A, Machado MdA, Buzalaf MAR. Effect of erosive pH cycling on different restorative materials and on enamel restored with these materials. Oper Dent. 2008 Mar-Apr;33(2):203-8. doi: 10.2341/07-77.
25. Horuztepe SA, Baseren M. Effect of resin infiltration on the color and microhardness of bleached white-spot lesions in bovine enamel (an in vitro study). J Esthet Restor Dent. 2017 Sep;29(5):378-85. doi: 10.1111/jerd.12308.
26. Ceci M, Rattalino D, Viola M, Beltrami R, Chiesa M, Colombo M, et al. Resin infiltrant for non-cavitated caries lesions: evaluation of color stability. J Clin Exp Dent. 2017 Feb 1;9(2):e231-e237. doi: 10.4317/jced.53110.
27. Arnold WH, Haddad B, Schaper K, Hagemann K, Lippold C, Danesh G. Enamel surface alterations after repeated conditioning with HCl. Head Face Med. 2015 Sep 25;11:32. doi: 10.1186/s13005-015-0089-2.
28. Soares CJ, Bragança GFd, Pereira RAdS, Rodrigues MdP, Braga SSL, Oliveira LRS, et al. Irradiance and radiant exposures delivered by LED light-curing units used by a left and right-handed operator. Braz Dent J. 2018 May-Jun;29(3):282-9. doi: 10.1590/0103-6440201802127.
29. Rey N, Benbachir N, Bortolotto T, Krejci I. Evaluation of the staining potential of a caries infiltrant in comparison to other products. D Dent Mater J. 2014;33(1):86-91.
30. Silva LO, Signori C, Peixoto AC, Cenci MS, Faria ESAL. Color restoration and stability in two treatments for white spot lesions. Int J Esthet Dent. 2018;13(3):394-403.
31. Villalta P, Lu H, Okte Z, Garcia-Godoy F, Powers JM. Effects of staining and bleaching on color change of dental composite resins. J Prosthet Dent. 2006 Feb;95(2):137-42.
32. Fonseca AS, Labruna Moreira AD, de Albuquerque PP, de Menezes LR, Pfeifer CS, Schneider LF. Effect of monomer type on the CC degree of conversion, water sorption and solubility, and color stability of model dental composites. Dent Mater. 2017 Apr;33(4):394-401. doi: 10.1016/j.dental.2017.01.010.
33. Sideridou ID, Karabela MM, Bikiaris DN. Aging studies of light cured dimethacrylate-based dental resins and a resin composite in water or ethanol/water. Dent Mater. 2007 Sep;23(9):1142-9.
34. Araújo G, Naufel F, Alonso R, Lima D, Puppin-Rontani R. Influence of staining solution and bleaching on color stability of resin used for caries infiltration. Oper Dent. 2015 Nov-Dec;40(6):E250-6. doi: 10.2341/14-290-L.
35. Theodory TG, Kolker JL, Vargas MA, Maia RR, Dawson DV. Masking and penetration ability of various sealants and ICON in artificial initial caries lesions in vitro. J Adhes Dent. 2019;21(3):265-72. doi: 10.3290/j.jad.a42520.
The Brazilian Journal of Oral Sciences uses the Creative Commons license (CC), thus preserving the integrity of the articles in an open access environment.